What is a pre-employment medical assessment?
A pre-employment medical assessment, or pre-placement assessment, is an examination that helps employers determine the employee’s ability to perform the essential functions of the job and verifies that the employee does not pose a significant risk of harm to self and others. Any work restrictions identified are outlined on a Fit Letter.
Benefits of a pre-placement exam
- Provides guidance to the employer about whether a candidate is physically suited for a particular job
- Establishes the baseline health status of an employee for future comparison
- Promotes the benefits of health maintenance to employees
- Prevents injury and disability
- Through the consultation, identify environmental risks in the workplace and ensure compliance with laws and policies
- Especially beneficial for individuals/employees that will be working in safety sensitive positions